Tijuana Maquiladora Tour
Come to learn about Tijuana workers'
conditions and struggles!
Saturday, Apr 22, 2017
8:30 am to 3:00 pm
- U.S. citizens entering Mexico via Tijuana and returning from Mexico to San Diego should carry a U.S. passport.
- All tour participants must read the US travel alert to Mexico and sign the tour waiver. Please click here to see the Tour travel alert and waiver.
- 8:30 am sharp- San Ysidro. Additional information about the meeting place will be provided.
- 9:00 am Group arrives to Tijuana. Border line to enter Tijuana last about 30 mins.
- 9:15 am- The crosses at the border: More than 7,000 immigrants have died trying to cross the border since 1994, when NAFTA was imposed.
- 9:30 am- Otay Industrial Park, Sanyo and other maquiladoras: workers’ labor conditions, labor rights and struggles
- NOTE: We will visit the Tijuana industrial area but won’t enter any factory.
- 11:15 am- Rio Alamar, or how maquiladoras, distorted urban development and wild industrialization define Tijuana
- 12:00 pm- Foxconn: the largest maquiladora in both Tijuana and the world
- 12:45 pm- Lunch
- 1:15 pm:- Group dialogue about the experience; time for questions and comments
- 2:00 pm- Working women in Tijuana are organizing artisan cooperatives and promoting an alternative economy. They will bring their handcrafts to the tour. To learn in advance about these cooperatives, please go to: Cooperativa Ollin Calli
- 3:00 pm- Return to the bus station
- $30 regular, $20 students, $ 50 solidarity
- Your registration covers the bus, lunch, and a donation to the
- workers’ organizations.
- For tour registration go to: sdmaquila.org
- Colectivo Ollin Calli Tijuana
- San Diego Maquiladora Workers' Solidarity Network